Birth stories are not for everyone.  But *I* love them.  Especially when they have happy endings.Image

Kizzy decided to make her appearance 2 weeks early.  I had posted an eviction notice on FB the day before, however, I wasn’t expecting her to respond so quickly.

I started having contractions at around 2 in the morning on Tuesday.  No big deal, that was common enough.  But they kept on.  Not labor contractions, just those annoying pre-labor things that are random and painful.ImageIt was enough though that when Seth halfway woke up and asked if I was ok I told him that if these didn’t go away we were making the bed up in the morning for a birth.

The next morning they were still coming randomly.  Five minutes, twenty minutes, an hour, fifteen minutes.  There was no consistency.  Seth went to work, and I made the bed.

Then, after taking inventory of birth supplies and needs, realized that I was low on towels.

The washer and dryer aren’t hooked up yet here, so we’ve been doing laundry at the laundromat.  Needless to say I did NOT feel like doing that, but I have awesome neighbors, and the lovely one next door let me do a couple loads in her machines.  ImageSeth had told me to keep track of contractions throughout the day and let him know what was going on.  When he came home to check on me I think the 15 minute intervals alarmed him a little, but I told him we had a midwife appointment that afternoon and if it really was the start of something, they’d be able to tell better then us.

At around 2:45 in the afternoon I lost my mucus plug, and even though contractions weren’t any more consistent, I felt like things were progressing.

We met with our midwife Thalia at 4:00 and told her what had been going on.  She nodded and said it could be soon, but it could also be another 2 – 4 weeks, but she’d check me  just to see where we were.

I was at 2 centimeters, and baby had dropped, but we figured it could still be awhile.  However, on the drive home, I went from contractions every ten minutes, to 8 to 5 to 3.  Then we were home and I was in labor.

Seth called his mom and Thalia  and things sped up.  I have to say, although it was much faster then Jack’s birth, 4 hours opposed to 12, it was a lot more intense.  I know I made a good bit more noise.

I was constantly moving through the labor, rocking, walking, doing all those weird labor things.  In and out of the shower.

Finally the contractions got so intense I knew she had to be close to making her appearance.  Thalia checked me again and I was at 8 centimeters.  I asked to move to the shower again, but once I made it to the bathroom all I wanted to do was sit on the toilet.

I need a birthing stool.  That’s all I can say.

Ten minutes later, when they made me get off and onto the bathroom floor, Kizzy’s head was out.  Thalia tried to get me to slow down pushing, and I was able to take one deep breath while she checked for the cord around Kizzy’s neck, and then she was out.  My body just took over and told me I didn’t have any choice in the matter.

So at 8:45 pm, our little daughter arrived, at 6 lbs 11 oz 18 3/4 inches long,  purple and squirmy and squished looking.  I have to admit my first thought was, “goodness newborns are ugly.”  Thankfully that doesn’t stop love.  :pImageAnd I happen to think she’s pretty adorable now.


About Tabi

I love the simple things in life, like, wearing skirts and going barefoot. Cooking glorious meals to feed friends and family. Trying to find healthy food at the grocery store on a limited budget. Spinning wool, (yes that's from sheep and goats and llamas), crocheting, and weaving. Picking fresh produce out of a garden, pouring real maple syrup over pancakes, and making a warm and loving home for my family. However, I don't use only whole wheat flour. I do not take reusable grocery bags to the store with me. I indulge in boxed meals when I must. I prefer sugar to honey. I do not shop at Whole Foods, Trader Joes, or Earth Fare except on very special occasions when I have extravagant amounts of money to spend. I HATE cloth diapers. I believe in breastfeeding babies, but not until they're five. I buy pre-made baby food. Somewhere in all this, I want to find the balance between the fanatical and the uncaring. Somehow, I hope to settle on doable.
Aside | This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s